Tranquillity Breeds Strength
The noteworthy reason for this becomes especially clear in extreme situations, whether in a medical emergency or in a company crisis. Always when an urgent situation arises, it is essential to address the situation without delay, to take responsibility and be a role model. Managers who are able to stay calm can transmit this same demeanour to their teams and employees. Everyone then remains calm, more focused and, therefore, more effective.
Not everyone is endowed with the ability to remain calm and considerate while staying focused and decisive. On the contrary, ambitious and successful people must often work especially hard to acquire these qualities.
To become consistently calm and focused one needs a very high level of personal energy, a focused personality, self-confidence and a healthy level of modesty. The ability to concentrate on the solution or the important central issue, while allowing members of your team to take centre stage in difficult situations is the result of serious work on your own personal development.
This is the meaning of the expression ‘calm in the eye of the storm’ and it is an essential element for effective leadership in any SME business environment.
There is no standard solution to all of life’s problems; therefore, it is important to indulge oneself consistently with a few minutes of calm contemplation.
This season of the year seems the appropriate time to stop and remind ourselves that we work to live not just live to work.
Avenues to calmness and serenity:
- Be aware of your strengths and weaknesses.
- Work on your self-perception. Think and speak positively about yourself.
- Find a balance between work, leisure time and family.
- Qualify the significance of work compared to other areas of your life.
- Take a few minutes out of your busy day to relax, especially when you are under considerable stress.
- Regularly scheduled exercise and/or meditation are known to help a person to relax.
- Learn to say “no”. Do not let your commitments/schedule get out of control.